Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Fire and smoke damage goes beyond the physical fire itself. There will likely be soot covering walls and ceilings, smoke and soot clinging to the interior surfaces of duct work, and water damage to most surfaces due to firefighting efforts. There’s a lot that needs to happen to restore your property, and we’re here to help. One call to SERVPRO of West Chester and our team of fire and water restoration experts will be on site to help you through the restoration process. We will work with your insurance company to determine which items are a loss, and which items can be restored. We offer pack out services to inventory, documents, and remove those items that can be restored. We will transfer your items to our secure restoration warehouse and clean and treat your property to its pre-fire condition.
Have Questions? Call Us Today – 610-692-8884
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (610) 692-8884
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.