SERVPRO of West Chester Admires Candle Light, and Urges Safety
In the United States, we don’t need candles to break up the darkness. Electric lights are safer, and they provide stronger and more consistent illumination than candles.
Even so, candles are becoming more popular. People use them to set a mood as well as to celebrate birthdays, observe holidays, and commemorate special events.
Candle fires have therefore increased over the past decades. SERVPRO® of West Chester is providing this information as part of our effort to keep West Goshen safe.
By the Numbers
• In the United States, candles are used in about 70% of homes
• Consumers spend approximately $2 billion a year on candles (yes, “billion”)
• Keep candle wicks trimmed to ¼ inch to prevent flaring or uneven burning
• There are over 7,600 candle-caused home fires every year
• These fires cause around $278 million a year in property damage
• Over a third of candle-started fires start in bedrooms
• Keep lit candles at least 1 foot away from anything that may catch fire (including paper, some plastics, fabric, and wood)
• Some organizations recommend 3 feet instead
If there is a fire, get yourself and everyone else (including the pets) out of the house. Once the fire is extinguished and everyone is safe, call us at 610-692-8884. We will remediate the damage to make your home look “Like it never even happened.”
Our emergency services are available all day, every day of the year (24/365).