Prevent Rain Gutter Clogs and Back-up
- Clear gutters of debris on a regular basis. Mother nature makes it easy for rain gutters to get clogged with items such as leaves, acorns and, twigs and branches. Take measures to regularly monitor and clear out your rain gutters.
- Be sure to keep near by trees trimmed and tidy to limit the amount of debris entering your gutters.
- Once cleared, place gutter guards or covers over rain gutters to stop debris from ever entering. Of course, small particles and items may make their way through the guards but this is a terrific step to reduce waste that ends up in your gutters.
- Make sure downspouts are cleared of any debris as well. This will limit back-up into the actual gutters.
- The design of your gutters could be causing back-up and overflow. Splash guards can be installed to prevent rain from “jumping” over the gutters.
- Ensure that your gutters are the right size and slope to maximize the efficiency of water drainage. If gutters are too small or receiving too much rain at once they will overflow and not drain properly into the downspouts.
- Keep animals and their homes out of your gutters by using non-toxic sprays or ultrasonic sound emitters.