If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (610) 692-8884

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Preventing Electrical Fires

8/13/2021 (Permalink)

Electrical fires can be extremely detrimental to your business. Damages can occur from both the fire and the water that is used during firefighting efforts.  As a business owner, it is important to know the steps to take to prevent electrical fires in your office.

Cords and Plugs:

Cords, plugs, and outlet damage are extremely common causes of electrical fires. If these items are tattered, frayed, worn out, or showing burn signs, they should immediately be replaced. Old cords that are in poor condition can overheat or spark which can lead to a fire. Replacing cords is a simple and non-expensive way to help prevent electrical fires. 


It is important to make sure your outlets are not overloaded, as this can be a huge risk factor for electrical fires. The United States Fire Administration recommends that power strips equipped with internal overload protection are purchased. These strips help ensure that a strip turns off when it becomes overloaded to help prevent fire damage.

Space Heaters:

Since space heaters are plugged in, they can be dangerous if not used carefully and correctly. Flammable materials such as paper, cardboard, coats, and rugs should be kept away from equipment that can become hot and overheat. 


Faulty wiring is a huge hazard and should be addressed immediately. If a lamp is flickering or an outlet is sparking, an electrician should be consulted to repair them as soon as possible. Appliances that are hot to touch and overheating should also be checked out by an electrician.


Your business should be inspected for hazardous situations that could potentially cause a fire. A licensed electrician can help keep your business and employees safe with a thorough assessment of the outlets, wiring, appliances, and other fire hazards.

Taking a few moments to ensure your business is safe from electrical fires is an easy, non-expensive way to keep you, your business, and employees safe. If you do experience a fire, SERVPRO of Southern Delaware County & West Chester is here to restore any damages and get your business back to normal.

Call Danielle 610-506-8919

Other News

View Recent Posts